: Caption reads: "Interlake Iron Corporation."
The Interlake Iron Corporation Plant, on Front Street in Toledo, Ohio was built in 1902 by Pickands Mather of the Toledo Furnace Company and was designed to be the most modern pig iron plant in the world. This plant was purchased from Toledo Furnace Company in 1929 by the By Products Corporation, and, the company having acquired several other properties as well, decide to rename itself Interlake Iron Corporation. Though successful for quite awhile, by 1978 Interlake decided to take a write-off for closing the plant in Toledo, as it had exhausted its useful life. By 1986, most of the plant had been dismantled or demolished, and by 1997 it had been completely torn down. The city of Toledo purchased the land and around 2005 extensively excavated and cleaned the site and surrounding area to make way for improvements along Front Street. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F01_011_001 Subjects
: Pig-iron; Iron foundries--United States; Industries--Ohio--Toledo Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)