: Typed on the reverse reads: "Code - F 36; Class - Industry; Ident - Old Iron Furnace; Location - Hanging Rock Region along Ohio River, Lawrence Co."
Handwritten on the reverse: "Hecla Furnace"
Photograph depicting the Hecla Furnace, including the cast house, stack bridge loft, stock shed, charcoal shed, roads and shops. This photograph appears to be similar to those taken between 1865 and 1877.
Hecla Furnace, located just east of what would eventually become Ironton, was erected in 1833 by Hamilton and McCoy. The cold blast furnace was for many years, one of the most famous in the country. The pig iron produced here was used was considered high quality and during the Civil War, every ton of Hecla iron was used for casting heavy ordnance and field guns, such as the famous “Swamp Angel”. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F05_001_001 Subjects
: Industries--Ohio; Blast furnaces--United States; Pig-iron; Hecla Mining Places
: Ironton (Ohio); Lawrence County (Ohio)