: In 1812 Captain James Manary built a blockhouse to control a point in the wilderness three miles north of Bellefontaine, at that time the northernmost settled place in Ohio. In a typical one-story log blockhouse, rifle ports lined every wall near the ceiling, and soldiers stood to fire from a bench running the perimeter of the room.
The Army of the Northwest, under General William Hull, stopped at Manary's Blockhouse on its march from Dayton to Detroit. There, surrounded by what he imagined to be a superior force, Hull surrendered. He was court-martialed, sentenced to death, granted clemency by James Madison, and spent much of the rest of his life attempting to restore his reputation.
James McPherson, a veteran of the Revolution and the War of 1812, bought the house in 1823; members of his family lived there until 1919. In 1924 it was moved to Indian Lake State Park, filled with objects from the period, and made a museum. The Ohio Guide described the array: "[...] willow and hickory chairs, a cornhusk doormat, spinning wheel and loom, andirons, early matches, stone vases, tintypes, snuff boxes, grease lamps, and a rare display of cotton printing of the Revolutionary War period."
Reverse reads: "Manary Blockhouse. Photo no. 2 is one corner of the same room as photo no. 1. District 10, Logan Co., Lakeview." View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F15_003_1 Subjects
: Lakeview (Logan County, Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; War of 1812 Places
: Lakeview (Ohio); Logan County (Ohio)