: Reverse reads: "Herbrand Corp."
Herbrand was established in Fremont, Ohio in 1881 Charles Thompson. Patent records suggest that Jacob Herbrand of Fremont, Ohio may have been one of the company's founders. The company began as a maker of vehicle springs and suspension systems, as a number of such patents were assigned to the company between 1881 and 1900. In 1919, "Van-Chrome" was used as a trademark for Herbrand alloy steel tools, which was a popular form of toolmaking at this time. As the popularity of the automobile emerged in the early 20th century, Herbrand expanded production of drop-forged tools for automobile tool kits to high-volume retailers such as Western Auto Supply and Montgomery Ward. By the 1930s, the shift of focus to the higher end professional market broadened the Herbrand tool line as it included a larger range of automotive service tools, including drive tools, sockets, and gear pullers. Throughout the 1940’s, Herbrand continued as a full-service independent tool company. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B06F07_006_1 Subjects
: Industries--Ohio; Drop-forging; Hand tools; Kelsey-Hayes Company Places
: Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio)