: Stone marker at the site of the Cooper's Shop in Schoenbrunn Village, dated March 8, 1782. In 1772, David Zeisberger, a missionary of the Moravian Church, established the village of Schoenbrunn on the Tuscarawas River, near present-day New Philadelphia. The word Schoenbrunn means "beautiful spring" in German. The purpose of this community was to provide Moravian missionaries a place to teach Christianity to Native Americans residing in Ohio. At its greatest size, Schoenbrunn had a population of four hundred Christian natives, mostly Delaware Indians, and more than sixty buildings, including the first school and Christian church built in Ohio.
During the American Revolution, facing harassment from both the English and the Americans , Zeisberger and his followers abandoned Schoenbrunn in early 1778. They held a final service in the church, after which they tore down their house of worship to prevent its desecration. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B15F01_022 Subjects
: Religion in Ohio; Churches; Schoenbrunn (Ohio)--History; Zeisberger, David, 1721-1808; New Philadelphia (Ohio) Places
: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)