: Photo taken between 1935-1943, original date unknown. Marietta College is one of Ohio's oldest continually operating institutions of higher education.
In 1830 the Reverend Luther Bingham, a pastor in the Congregationalist Church, established the Institute for Education. Local citizens in Marietta then created the Marietta Collegiate Institute and Western Teachers' Seminary, a non-denominational institution. In 1835, this college became known simply as Marietta College. Throughout its history, Marietta College has emphasized a commitment to a liberal arts education. The institution has desired to create a well-rounded student, knowledgeable in a wide variety of subjects.
Marietta was the first permanent settlement of the United States of America in the territory north and west of the Ohio River. Originally known as Adelphia, meaning "brotherhood," Marietta was the first settlement founded by the Ohio Company of Associates in the Northwest Territory in 1788. The company's investors renamed the community after Queen Marie Antoinette of France, in honor of France's contributions to the American victory in the American Revolution. The first settlers were led by Rufus Putnam, who was one of the Ohio Company's early investors.
View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B15F01_068 Subjects
: Marietta (Ohio); Universities and colleges; College buildings; Education, Higher--Ohio--History Places
: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)