: Photograph of a two-story stone home in Muskingum County, Ohio. The home has ivy growing on the front and several large trees in the landscaping.
Known as the Henry Mathews House, the residence was built by Dr. Increase Mathews for his son Henry in 1840. The doctor's residence is across the street and is one of the museums of the Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County. The stone for both houses, as well as the nearby Stone Academy, came from Dr. Mathews' quarry which was located several blocks south on Woodlawn Avenue.
The Henry Mathews House faces east. On the south side, not visible in the photo, there was a second floor porch. During restoration in the 1980s, the deteriorated porch was removed, and a garage added to the rear. The door at the front of the house has not been used for years with the main functional door being on the south side. The house is a contributing part of the Putnam Historic District. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B15F02_012_001 Subjects
: Muskingum County (Ohio); Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works; Historic houses Places
: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)