: The picture is a drawing of a wood fort. The fort is a square and in each corner is a cannon tower. Inside the fort, there are several men running with weapons and six buildings. A flagpole is at the center of the fort, which is situated at the top of a hill.
Named in honor of Henry Laurens, then president of the Continental Congress, Fort Laurens was built in 1778 in an ill-fated campaign to attack the British at Detroit. Supplying this wilderness outpost was its downfall, as its starving garrison survived on boiled moccasins and withstood a month-long siege by British-led Indians. The fort was abandoned in 1779. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B14F01_032_001 Subjects
: Fort Laurens (Ohio)--History.; Fort Laurens (Ohio) Places
: Fort Laurens (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)