: Reverse reads: "Typical information and identification sign installed on all cabins, Schoenbrunn State Memorial."
The photo shows three signs posted on the side of a building. In 1772, David Zeisberger, a missionary of the Moravian Church, established the village of Schoenbrunn on the Tuscarawas River, near present-day New Philadelphia. The word Schoenbrunn means "beautiful spring" in German. The purpose of this community was to provide Moravian missionaries a place to teach Christianity to Native Americans residing in Ohio. At its greatest size, Schoenbrunn had a population of four hundred Christian natives, mostly Delaware Indians, and more than sixty buildings, including the first school and Christian church built in Ohio.
During the American Revolution, facing harassment from both the English and the Americans , Zeisberger and his followers abandoned Schoenbrunn in early 1778. They held a final service in the church, after which they tore down their house of worship to prevent View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B14F02_002_001 Subjects
: Religion in Ohio; Churches; Schoenbrunn (Ohio); Zeisberger, David, 1721-1808; New Philadelphia (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Schoenbrunn State Memorial Park (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)