: Dated to the 1930s or 1940s, this photograph shows Bolivar Dam outlet, located on the Sandy Creek of the Tuscarawas River. Located at the left abutment of the main embankment, the outlet consists of twin horseshoe-shaped tunnels, walls, an intake tower, and a stilling basin. The concrete-lined tunnels, 814 feet long and 16 feet in diameter, extend from the intake structure through the south abutment to the stilling basin. The outlet works normally pass the entire flow of Sandy Creek, except during periods of flood retention.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B14F03_023_001 Subjects
: Dams; Geography and Natural Resources; Tuscarawas County (Ohio)--History; Flood control; Ohio--History--Pictorial works Places
: Tuscarawas County (Ohio); Stark County (Ohio)