Description: Caption reads: "Langley's Inn, built as an Indian trading post in 1828. Still stands in an excellent state of preservation on River Road at E. Wayne St. in Maumee, Ohio." The oldest business building in Lucas County, Ohio, the Commercial Building at 301 River Road has been known by different names over the years, including the Neeley House, the Eagle, the Schieley House, the Bismark, the Seurin Hotel, the Langley Inn, the Governor’s Inn, J. Brown’s River Inn, and the Old Plantation Inn. In 1836, Levi Beebe built the Commercial Building. Initially, several different businesses occupied the structure, including various law firms, several stores, and even the local post office. The building also housed an inn at this time. Several prominent people purportedly stayed at the inn, including future presidents Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, and Rutherford B. Hayes. Businesses in the Commercial Building flourished during the 1830s and 1840s. The structure was located on the stagecoach route between Detroit, Michigan and Fort Wayne, Indiana. Also, Maumee is located on the Maumee River, and river traffic brought business and guests to the area. Maumee also was the original county seat of Lucas County, bringing people to the community who were engaged in legal matters or in politics. In 1837, the Lucas County Whig Party actually formed in the Commercial Building. In 1852, the Lucas County seat moved to Toledo. The Maumee economy weakened at this time, but the Commercial Building continued to house various businesses. Purportedly, the structure served as a stop on the Underground Railroad in the years before the American Civil War. During the twentieth century, the building principally functioned as an inn and restaurant. As of this writing, the Commercial Building houses Giannos Restaurant. The Commercial Building is on the National Register of Historic Places. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F02_012_1 Subjects: National Historic Landmark Program (U.S.); Historic sites--Maumee River Valley (Ind. and Ohio)--Pictorial works; Lucas County (Ohio)--History. Places: Maumee (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)
Description: The exterior of the Lucas County Courthouse in Toledo. Lucas County dates back to the first half of the 19th century when it would be at the center of the border conflict known as the Toledo War. The "war" was a stand off in which both Ohio and the territory comprising what is today Michigan were in a heated debate about which would claim a strip of land in northwest Ohio. After some time the stand off would be resolved with Ohio keeping the contested land which includes Lucas County. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06791 Subjects: Historic buildings--Ohio; Historic sites Ohio; Law & legal affairs Places: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)
Description: The exterior of the Lucas County Courthouse in Toledo. Lucas County dates back to the first half of the 19th century when it would be at the center of the border conflict known as the Toledo War. The "war" was a stand off in which both Ohio and the territory comprising what is today Michigan were in a heated debate about which would claim a strip of land in northwest Ohio. After some time the stand off would be resolved with Ohio keeping the contested land which includes Lucas County. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06792 Subjects: Historic buildings--Ohio; Historic sites Ohio; Law & legal affairs Places: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph from the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus is of Thomas Williams, a 37-year-old man of Lucas County, Ohio. His formal attire suggests that the photograph was taken during his trial or sentencing. Williams confessed to murdering Samual Arnovitz and Herman Kandler during an attempted carjacking in Toledo Ohio. He was the 231st individual to be executed via the electric chair in Ohio. The caption at the bottom reads: "No. 231, Thomas Williams of Lucas County, Legally Electrocuted December 19th, 1941, for the Murder of Samuel Arnovitz."
In 1885 the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus, Ohio, became the location for all executions, which previously took place in the various county seats. In 1896 the Ohio General Assembly mandated that electrocution replace hanging as the form of capital punishment. The Ohio Penitentiary regularly offered tours as well as souvenir photographs and postcards of the building and prisoners on death row. A total of 315 prisoners, both men and women, were executed in the electric chair known as “Old Sparky” between 1897 and 1963.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL08285 Subjects: Ohio History--State and Local Government--Law; Capital punishment--Ohio--History; Death row; Electrocution; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections; Ohio Penitentiary (Columbus, Ohio); Prisons--Ohio Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)
Description: These photographs of the Lucas County Courthouse in Toledo, Ohio were taken in the 1960s. The courthouse was built between 1894 and 1897. Architect David L. Stine included carved frogs in the exterior of the building and a frog tile mosaic in the entranceway as a reminder of the city's marshy past. Settlers nicknamed the city of Toledo "Frogtown" in the early nineteenth century due the marsh that made the area the perfect environment for frogs. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The slides measure 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm). View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3031_3645095_001 Subjects: Ohio Government; Architecture; Courthouses; National Register of Historic Places Places: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use