Description: Reverse reads "Grave of John Cleve Symmes at North Bend, Ohio. Federal Writers' Photo."
The tombstone, located in Congress Green Cemetery in North Bend (west of Cincinnati), and is one of the earliest contained therein. Residents established the "Pasture Graveyard" in the early 1800s by land previously owned by President William Henry Harrison's family. Many other Symmes and Harrison family members were also interred in the cemetery, which eventually became known as the Congress Green Cemetery. The cemetery closed to burials in 1884.
Inscription on tombstone reads: " Here rest the remains of John Cleves Symmes, who at the foot of these hills, made the first settlement between the Miami Rivers. Born on Long Island, State of New York, July 21st A.D. 1742. died in Cincinnati February 26th A.D. 1814."
Plaque on tomb reads "Revolutionary soldier John Cleves Symmes, 1742 - 1814. Marked by Cincinnati Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution"
John Cleves Symmes, was a delegate to the Continental Congress from New Jersey, and later a pioneer in the Northwest Territory. He was the son of the Rev. Timothy Symmes (1715–1756) and Mary Cleves (died c. 1746) of Suffolk County, New York on Long Island. He was also the father-in-law of President William Henry Harrison, who married his daughter Anna. They eloped on November 25, 1795 View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B09F10_029_1 Subjects: Memorials--Ohio; Monuments--Ohio; State Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Continental Congress (United States); Symmes, John Cleves, 1742-1814; National Register of Historic Places Places: North Bend (Ohio); Miami Township (Ohio); Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: This broadside was printed by the Republican party during the presidential campaign of Benjamin Harrison and Levi P. Morton. The paper is illustrated in pale reds, whites, and blues. Striped block letters that read "OUR NATION'S CHOICE" are printed across the top; beneath this headline, oval portraits of Harrison and Morton are framed by women in Classical attire and a large arrangements of flowers, leaves, shields, and flags. Two narrow columns of text line the sides, with two wider columns of text along the bottom portion. The lower corners feature illustrations and quotes of Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant.
Harrison, the grandson of President William Henry Harrison, would go on to become the 23rd President of the United States, serving a single term: 1889-1893. Born in North Bend, Ohio, Harrison was elected from the state of Indiana, where he lived after his service in the U. S. Civil War. He was one of only four presidents in United States history to be elected to the presidency by the electoral college though he lost the popular vote. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS4836 Subjects: Ohio History--Presidents and Politics; Harrison, Benjamin, 1833-1901; Republican Party; Advertisements; Broadsides--1880-1890; Ohio--Politics and government; Presidential elections--1880-1890
Description: Two 8" by 10" (20.32 by 25.4 cm) photographs dating from the 1940s depict Harrison's tomb and monument on Mt. Nebo in North Bend, Ohio. The tomb contains the remains of William Henry Harrison, 9th president of the United States. The monument is an obelisk of Bedford limestone, with marble entranceway, which rises 60 feet above the tomb. From the terrace visitors have a spectacular panorama of the Ohio River valley visible in the second image. The memorial is part of the Ohio Historical Society's network of historical, archaeological and natural history sites. A member of a prominent Virginia family, Harrison (1773-1841) served as aide-de-camp to General Anthony Wayne during the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794. After moving to the Ohio country, he became secretary of the Northwest Territory and served as the territory's first representative to Congress. In 1801, Harrison became governor of the Indiana Territory and served in that position for 12 years. He achieved his greatest fame during the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811. During the War of 1812, Harrison commanded the Army of the Northwest and attained the rank of brigadier general. In 1813, he defeated the combined forces of the British and American Indians at the Battle of the Thames, where chief Tecumseh was killed. Harrison resigned his commission in 1814 and returned to Ohio. He entered politics and served in both houses of the U.S. Congress and the state senate. Harrison ran unsuccessfully for president in 1836, and announced his candidacy again in 1840. Historians have described the 1840 election as the first modern political campaign. Harrison broke with tradition and campaigned actively for president on the Whig ticket. The log cabin became the symbol of Harrison's campaign when his Democratic opponents ridiculed him, saying he would be content to spend his days in a log cabin drinking hard cider. Harrison's supporters turned this insult around to portray him as a man of the people. Harrison contacted pneumonia and died after only one month in office. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3202_3806470_001 Subjects: Architecture; Arts and Entertainment; Presidents and Politics; Tombs & sepulchral monuments; Monuments & memorials; Presidents Places: North Bend (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use