Description: Original description reads: "Lakeview Terraces."
With the New Deal, $150 million of the Public Works Administration (PWA) budget was set aside for housing. Lakeview Terrace, internationally known as a landmark in public housing, was one of 3 Cleveland housing projects that were the first to be authorized by the federal government using funds from the PWA. Together with Cedar-Central and Outhwaite, it was begun in 1935 and completed in 1937. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F09_26_01 Subjects: Public housing--Ohio--Cleveland; Streets--Ohio--Cleveland; Automobiles Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: Original description reads: "Street view. Shopping along Prospect Ave., Cleveland."
This photograph shows Prospect Avenue, facing west, in Cleveland Ohio.
The first building on the right is Weinberger Cut Rate Drug Store ("Where spending is saving!", founded by Adolph Weinberger in 1912 (his first store was located at E. 30th Street and Scovill Avenue). The drugstore grew quickly into a chain and by1945 all the stores were consolidated under the name Gray Drug Stores, Inc. Business began to decline in the 1960s , but Weinberger's son Jerome improved the stores and added a variety of products which helped revive the company. Gray's was taken over by Sherwin Williams Co. in 1981, who in turn sold the company to Rite Aid Corp in 1987.
The next store is Volk's Credit Jewelers, located at 417 Prospect Avenue. Established in 1899, the pawnbroker is now called Volk's Jewelery and Loans.
Above the pawn store is Dr. David Volk, Optometrist. Aspheric ophthalmic lenses were developed by Dr. Volk in 1956, which was a great improvement over common spheric lenses. The success of this development led Dr. Volk to form Volk Optical / Tech Optics Inc, in 1974 which commercially manufactured lenses. This led to a series of improvements over the years which has continually allowed the company to be a leader in the field of optics.
Farther down the street can be seen signs for "Mary Lee Old Time Home Made Candies", "Anders Cafeteria", and "Kroger"
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F10_11_01 Subjects: Streets--Ohio--Cleveland; Storefronts--Ohio--Cleveland; Pedestrians Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: Original description reads: "The Jolly Tippler surveys work-a-day Cleveland street scene."
Herman Pirchner's Hofbrau was a Bavarian-themed restaurant in operation from the mid-1930s to the late 1940s in downtown Cleveland. Pirchner also owned and operated the Alpine Village supper club from the early 1930s until 1961, which drew some of the biggest names in entertainment for performances as well as patronage. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F10_15_01 Subjects: Streets--Ohio--Cleveland; Restaurants--Ohio--Cleveland Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use