Description: One Leg Creek, named for a one legged Indian who lived by the creek, is more commonly known as Conotton Creek. The 38.7 mile long creek in Eastern Ohio, is a tributary of the Tuscarawas River. The creek was declared navigable by Ohio Legislature in 1808, but the act was repealed in 1818, probably to allow for the construction of mill dams View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B11F10_031_001 Subjects: Tuscarawas County (Ohio); Creeks Places: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: One Leg Creek, named for a one legged Indian living near the mouth, was llater know as Conotton Creek. At 38.7 miles long, it is a tributary of the Tuscarawas River and a part of the Mississippi River watershed. The stream was declared navigable in 1808, but was this was repealed in 1816, probably to allow the construction of mill dams. Located in Orange Township, it was a part of the original surveyed townships, 13 and 14, in range 6, and parts of township 14 and 15, range 7 of the Ohio Seven Ranges. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B11F10_007_001 Subjects: Tuscarawas County (Ohio) Places: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
!!!Canal lock on the Ohio-Erie Canal in Tuscarawas County, OhioSave
Description: Dated ca. 1935-1940, this photograph shows a lock on the Ohio and Erie Canal in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. A lock is a device for raising and lowering boats between stretches of water of different levels on river and canal waterways. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F02_019_001 Subjects: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)--History; Locks (Canal); Canals Ohio; Miami and Erie Canal (Ohio)--History; Geography and Natural Resources; Transportation--Ohio--History.; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: A photograph of a farm scene in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. It shows a field of corn shocks.
Putting corn in shocks was a way of drying the corn. The corn stalks were tied with twine at the top of the stalk. The bottom of the stalks were then spread in a circle to keep the shock upright. The shocks were then left in the field to dry and then fed to the live stock in the winter. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F03_006_001 Subjects: Tuscarawas County (Ohio); Farming; Corn; Harvest Places: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: This is a photograph of a lock on the Ohio-Erie Canal in Tuscarawas County, Ohio.
During the late 1810s, Governor Thomas Worthington and Governor Ethan Allen Brown both supported internal improvements, especially canals. Both men believed that Ohioans needed quick and easy access to the Ohio River and to Lake Erie if they were to profit financially. In 1822, the Ohio legislature realized the importance of internal improvements and created a new Ohio Canal Commission. The Canal Commission eventually recommended a route starting at Lake Erie, passing through the Cuyahoga Valley, the Muskingum Valley, the Licking Valley, and then to the Ohio River along the Scioto Valley. The Commission also recommended a western route along the Miami and Maumee Valleys. By 1833, the Ohio and Erie Canal was complete, followed twelve years later by the Miami and Erie Canal. Once completed, thirty-three of Ohio's eighty-eight counties either had portions of canals running through them or quarries to mine rock for construction. The canals had many advantages to Ohioans. Most importantly, the cost to ship goods from the East Coast to Ohio and vice versa declined tremendously from 125 dollars per ton of goods to twenty-five dollars per ton of goods. Most canals remained in operation in Ohio until the late 1800s, their demise due in part to competition from the much speedier railroads. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F03_020_001 Subjects: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)--History; Locks (Canal); Canals--Ohio; Miami and Erie Canal (Ohio)--History; Geography and Natural Resources; Transportation--Ohio--History; Places: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: The plaque on the rock reads "In commemoration of our patriot ancestors who served with the 8th Pennsylvania and the 13th Virginia regiments at Fort Laurens from November 18 1778 - August 2, 1779. To assure that their sacrifice to the newly founded republic was not in vain, we pledge ourselves to maintain in perpetuity these United States of America.
The Oho Society sons of the American Revolution dedicated in the bicentennial year, May 9 1976".
The rock is in Carroll County, Ohio near the site where General Lachlan McIntosh and 1200 troops camped on November 13 and 14th 1778 on their way to build a fort to provide a base for a spring campaign on Fort Detroit. The fort, Fort Laurens, was built at the present day site of Bolivar, Ohio in Tuscarawas County. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06561 Subjects: Fort Laurens (Ohio); Memorials--Ohio; Tuscarawas County (Ohio) Places: Malvern (Ohio); Carroll County (Ohio); Bolivar (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use