Description: This photograph shows the Wyandot Roller Mills building in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. The large white building is surrounded by three telephone poles and two horses and buggies. A man and woman stand outside on the side of the building, and another man sits in a buggy on the left. "Wyandot Roller Mills" is printed in large letters on the front of the building. M.F. Ricketts purchased the mill in 1913 and remodeled it, replacing machinery and increasing storage by building an addition. Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's department store, and later as a traveling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). He was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV30_B04F05_28 Subjects: Business--Ohio; Mills and mill-work--Ohio; Upper Sandusky (Ohio) Places: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio)
Description: Taken in the 1990s, this photograph shows a small industry building, possibly a mill, in an unidentified location in Ohio. The photographs in the Community Profiles Collection, images of Ohio's cities, towns, and villages, were taken by the Ohio Film Commission. The Ohio Film Commission was established in 1979 to promote Ohio to the filming industry as a diverse place to film and a home to specialists with a wide range of film-making skills, including actors and set crews. The commission worked to bring to Ohio such films as Rain Man, Eight Men Out, City of Hope, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Deer Hunter, among others filmed in Ohio. The commission's functions included scouting locations, arranging support services and helping in-state filmmakers to make and export their work. In 2002, the commission was eliminated as a cost-saving measure. The Division of Travel and Tourism absorbed all functions. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA6576AV_B56787_F1-31_image6 Subjects: Photography--Ohio; Mills and mill-work--Ohio; Spring; Agriculture Places: Ohio
Description: The Stockport Mill in Stockport. The mill is currently home to a restaurant and bed and breakfast. This mill served important functions for many years for the community of Stockport. In addition to being a significant producer of flour, it was also a source of power. Often times men would gather there to discuss the topics of the day while they purchased various goods. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06778 Subjects: Mills and mill-work--Ohio; Mills; Morgan County (Ohio) Places: Stockport (Ohio); Morgan County (Ohio)
Description: Illustration of Indian Mill, near Upper Sandusky, Ohio, 1879. Caption reads "The Indian Mill. Isaac Mann, Prop'r [Proprietor]. Situated 2 1/2 miles N.E. of Upper Sandusky, on the Sandusky Riv."
Indian Mill, built in 1861, now serves as the nation's first educational museum of milling housed in its original structure. The restored three-story structure replaces the original one-story building that the U. S. government built in 1820 to reward the loyalty of local Wyandot Indians during the War of 1812. When the War of 1812 came to an end, Wyandot Indians settled and concentrated their nation near modern-day Upper Sandusky. Along with them was a group of African Americans—both free blacks and escaped slaves—who also settled nearby. The two groups worked together farming and managing the land, and part of this intermingling led to some of the Wyandots accepting Christianity, which in turn led to limited perks granted by the federal government. One of those perks was money to build a mill. In 1820, a flour mill and sawmill were both constructed on the banks of the Sandusky River. These mills provided important services for the Wyandot farmers as well as the blacks living in the area. They were able to process their harvests and turn logs into timber to build their homes.
However, under pressure from many white settlers that lived in the area surrounding the Wyandot reservation, the federal government finally decided to permanently remove the Wyandots from Ohio.
Several years later, the last of the Wyandots left the area. Settlers destroyed most remnants of their culture, including homes and churches, and even the Wyandot headstones in local cemeteries.
The mill fell into disrepair and was abandoned. Some years later, the flour mill was re-built on the present site by Lewis Rummel. He used 3 Leffel turbines in his new mill. The mill has been owned by various people over the years and was purchased by the Ohio History Connection in 1968. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: A912_771_W97h_IndianMill Subjects: American Indians in Ohio; Mills and mill-work--Ohio; Wyandot Indians--History; Wyandot County (Ohio); Agriculture; Places: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use