Underground Railroad station near North LewisburgSave
Description: Photograph showing a house that was used as station on the Underground Railroad. The description on the back of the photograph reads: "One of the Winder Houses north of North Lewisburg where slaves were harbored [sic]." The Underground Railroad was a system of safe houses and hiding places that helped runaway slaves escape to freedom in the northern United States or across the border in Canada.
Thomas Winder, a Quaker, was an operator who helped escaped slaves in the North Lewisburg, Ohio, area along with other members of his family. Quakers were strongly opposed to slavery and offered help to slaves seeking their freedom as early as the late 1700s. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SC1338_001_001 Subjects: Underground Railroad; Abolitionists; African Americans--History; Slavery; Houses; Underground Railroad--Pennsylvania Places: North Lewisburg (Ohio); Champaign County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing the back of the post card. The typed paragraph on the top left-side reads: "POST CARD| MESSAGE| "The Palace," Zoar, Ohio| Near the garden, lofty stone steps ascending to the entrance is the conspicuous dwelling of the village-the former residence of the leader, Joseph Bimeler. Often designated by visitors as "the palace," it is a two and a half story, cupola surmounted, red brick mansion with a spacious basement. It was erected in 1835, a few years after the marriage of the founder of the Society and served as Bimeler's home until his death in 1853. In those days it was considered a most pretentious establishment and certainly far beyond anything it its locality. The Ohio State Historical Society and the Zoar Historical Society are collaborating in the preservation of old Zoar Village." The handwriting under the paragraph reads: "The Palace" see opposite sides." There is a hand-drawn red checkmark and a "#7" on the right-side under the caption "ADDRESS." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Series6560AV_B10F013_001_002 Subjects: Zoar (Tuscarawas County, Ohio); Zoar (Tuscarawas County, Ohio)--Social life and customs; Historic houses; Historic preservation; Houses Places: Zoar (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio);
Description: This photograph shows a woman relaxing at an umbrella table in the yard behind a Lustron house in the late 1940s. Lustron homes were prefabricated, single-family homes constructed of porcelain steel. They were manufactured in Columbus, Ohio, to alleviate a post-World War II housing shortage. Unable to compete with traditional builders, Lustron went out of business in 1950. A total of 2,498 Lustron houses were built in 36 states. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3331_4692182_001 Subjects: Architecture; Prefabricated houses; Daily Life; Lawns; Lustron Corporation Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use