Description: Caption reads: "One of the larger wine casks measuring about twelve feet in height. Wine is stored in these immediately after pressing for periods ranging from a few months to several years depending on the type of wine desired. It is then bottled and placed in racks to clear."
The E & K Winery began as the Engels and Krudwig Winery which operated from 1863 to 1959. It has since been reopened under the name E & K Winery. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F01A_007_1 Subjects: Business and Labor; Agriculture--Ohio--History.; Wine industry; Wine barrels Places: Sandusky (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows 5th and Vine Streets in Cincinnati, Ohio. Dow's Drugstore is on the right, owned by Cora Dow Goode, who took over her father's (Edwin B. Dow) business. She was only the second woman to graduate from the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy and opened several drug stores in the Cincinnati area, and eventually established the Dow Drug Company. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collection for use in the Ohio Guide.
In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F02_18_01 Subjects: Streets--Ohio--Cincinnati; Central Business Districts; Dow Drug Co.; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Trolley conveyor made by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio in use at the Firestone Steel Products Company, Akron, Ohio, 1927. The chain and sprocket wheels are clearly visible in this photograph. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL01481 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Economy--Business Places: Akron (Ohio)
Description: The tomato handling equipment in this photograph was made by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio. A revolving screen washed the tomatoes before they were delivered to a wire mesh conveyor. On the conveyor, the tomatoes were inspected for flaws by the plant employees. This machinery was used at the Ritter Catsup Company, Plainfield, New Jersey, 1929. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL01522 Subjects: Conveying machinery; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business Places: Columbus (Ohio)
Description: This glass flask, which measures 7" by 4" (17 by 11 cm), was manufactured by J. Sheppard and Company in Zanesville. It includes both an American eagle and a Masonic symbol. J. Shepard and Company was started in Zanesville in 1823 by Reverend Joseph Shepard. During the 1820s and 1830s, Zanesville was one of the leading glass-manufacturing cities in the nation. Ohio has continued to play a major role in the nation's glass industry because of its abundant sandstone resources. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1382_1535066_001 Subjects: Business and Labor; Glass industry; Glassworking; Bottles; Eagles Places: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)
Description: Rubber belt conveyor made by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio in use at the Holcomb Canning Company, Holcomb, New York, 1919. In front of the women are wooden chutes that delivered husked corn to the rubber belt conveyor. A Jeffrey scraper conveyor moving unhusked corn is found at the lower left portion of the photograph. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL01403 Subjects: Women--Employment; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business Places: Holcomb (New York)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 7th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 18th.
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use